The Madagascar hissing roaches provided a surprise that was posted on TAMU’s science department Facebook website. Here’s the story--
Several sixth graders from Anson Middle School were in for a surprise earlier this week when one of their Texas A&M University-supplied hissing cockroaches they were examining for a science project suddenly began giving birth.
The students were conducting an experiment to determine whether the roach’s hissing was related to temperature, when approximately 40 spontaneous bundles of joy arrived. Teacher Mike Cable, who has worked closely over the years with Dr. Craig Wilson, senior research associate in the Texas A&M Center for Mathematics and Science Education and insect expert, instinctively grabbed his camera to document the 20-minute event for posterity and, thanks to Dr. Wilson’s own savvy marketing instincts, our Texas A&M Science Facebook audience.
The students watched the entire process, but true to scientific nature, soon returned to their experiment. Reports indicate that mother and babies are doing well. Check out some of the pictures from that day to get an up-close look at the birthing process of a hissing cockroach.
It’s Time to Be Curious, indeed!
Sixth grade student Lauren Harner said “I was amazed when I saw the mom giving birth. I let Mr. Cable know right away. Getting this stuff from other people is so much fun and educational. It’s so cool that Texas A & M put this on their website.”
“Having graduated from UT Austin, I’m a “Hook ‘Em Horns” teacher.” said Mr. Cable. “But I’ll shout out a “Gig ‘Em” for all the help that Dr. Wilson, and Dr. Juan Lopez, an esteemed entomologist at TAMU have provide for my students.”
No comments:
Post a Comment