Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Method to My Madness



I've created an entire classroom persona, Commando Cable and the Lost Planet Air Brigade. Part mad scientist, part Sky-marshal of the Universe--all fun and designed for 6th graders.

Why have I bothered with the alter-ego or, for that matter this blog?



I developed the alter-ego before I started teaching 6th grade students. I was a K-12 technology teacher, and I wanted an alter-ego. Doesn't everybody? I'm not cut out to be Spider Man, much less Super Man.

But I found a character that fit my name. Commando Cody was featured in 12 short feature films made in 1952. In the 60s and the 70s Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen were a popular country-rock/Western swing band. So I adopted that persona.

Why? It's fun. It helps me connect with the kids. It helps me connect the kids with the past. If a kid is just an ornery little toot, it gives him or her the opportunity to call me something other than Mister Cable (ignoring the small battles works).

So I have produced a weblog, or blog, to present what we do in Commando Cable's Top Secret Laboratory and Area 51 Briefing Room.

Why?

First, for parents/guardians, family and friends. A place for you to see at least some of what the child near and dear to you experiences in my classroom.

Second, for my students. So they can review, remember, show others what they are learning about science and social studies.

Third, for my administrator's and other bosses. A record of what goes on in my classroom.

Finally, for me. Bragging rights. I'm not a perfect teacher, but I think I'm pretty danged good. Evidence. I apply regularly for grants, applications, etc. where they ask for evidence of my performance in the classroom. And for feedback--both from myself and others.

Feedback from myself--If I'm hesitant or timid about posting what I do in my classroom, I need to think about what I'm doing.

Feedback from others--If you think I'm doing something wrong, right, perfect, or just have an idea or resource that might help.

No comments:

Post a Comment